Thursday, January 15, 2015

NYC Buildings - Quilter's Eye Candy

NYC and FIT!a

Last September I was lucky enough to join a group of ladies for a bus trip to NYC!!  Whenever I tell anyone I’m from NY they always think I’m from ‘the’ city but I actually live about 5 house north west of NYC and haven’t been there in YEARS!   Anyhow, there was a group of women going from O’Susannah’s Quilts & Gifts in Watkins Glen NY and considering my sister is O’Susannah herself and my sister Jane and my sister-in-law Jeannie were also going I just HAD to go with them!  I had a ball!  

The entire reason for going was to attend Quilter’s Take Manhattan 2014.  It was a wonderful show, so wonderful that this post is going to be in two sections!  The first is going to be some eye candy of the building in NYC, talk about a quilter’s paradise!  I can’t tell you how wonderful it was to walk around the city and look at the buildings!



First up is a picture of Madison Square Garden.  Many of you may think that this is just a plain simple building but to me it was some real modern quilting, straight lines, blocks of all sizes, even the steps to me had a cool pattern!


When looking at this building I saw fabulous triangle fills!  The ore I looked at it I realized that the side ‘fern’ type design would work perfectly in a Dear Jane Quilt Border!

 


Take a look at that circular sashing fill!  I think it would be perfect; there is nothing directional about it so it would fill up the sashings perfectly.  Also did you notice something about the circles?  Yup, beautiful piano keys with an echo inside them.





Here are more piano keys for you along with a gorgeous wave!  I will be keeping this design in mind for the upcoming 2015 Row-by-Row quilt theme is water.  This pattern is also a great pattern for beginner free motion quilting.



Do you need an idea for a corner stone fill?  Love it!  I also really like the straight lines next to it.  They gave me ideas of echoing blocks especially the more modern quilt blocks.



This photo is filled with quilting ideas!  Start off with the first rope border, then the beads, then beautiful echo lines and finish it off with that wonderful fern with a flower in the center (upper right corner of the picture).  Do you see why I spent my entire walk looking up?  I wanted my machine to play!



Window headers make great circular designs!  Love the petals!  They would also be perfect for a Dresden Plate Quilt!



I really liked the very clean lines of this one, again a perfect quilting motif for sashings, add the echo of the sashing with the circles as a fill and you’ve got a great design!



I really didn’t think I’d see prairie points in NYC but I did!    The grapes and vines would be perfect on a quilt come this fall when the grapes are in season again.  Lots and lots of detail on this one!



Perfect edge-to-edge design!


A great block fill or a corner stone or an all over design!  I can see one row orientated this was and then the next row flipped, it would give multiple different designs and would also be beyond gorgeous on a whole cloth quilt!!! 


All of the shops windows were beautiful!  The wedding gowns were beyond beautiful!  I thought I should snap at least one photo of a store window just so you knew once in a while I stopped looking up! 

Happy Quilting!





















No comments:

Post a Comment