Friday, December 13, 2013

Downton Abbey Block #4 - Castle Garden

Time to start sewing!

I like to lay everything out that I’m sewing so that I can make certain I’m sewing it together correctly.



First step was to sew the triangles on each side of the square.  Once they are sewn square up your triangle using the corner of the square as your guide to give you a ¼” seam allowance at the point. 






Next attach your triangle to create a 6 ½” square.  Set these aside.



Next we are going to make 4 flying geese units.
I start by laying my next block sections out.



Attach the outer triangles trimming each section as you go giving a ¼” beyond your intersecting points.

                             

Once those are attached attach your next triangle.


Don’t forget to clip the ‘rabbit ears’ and trim your blocks.


Square this up again by using the your ‘points’ to create your ¼”.  In the above photo I used where the black met the cream background fabric and the straight lines on my ruler.
I also used the points on my triangles as a second reference mark when squaring up each step.


Attach your next triangle


Attaching more triangles!




This squares up to 6 ½” x 12 ½”.

Next step is to make your center block.  Again I start by laying it out.


Make your flying geese first and then sew your center row.


The flying geese were 3 ½” x 6 ½”, once attached to the center block they were 12 ½” x 6 ½”.
I forgot to take pictures of the top & bottom rows!  Those rows square up to 3 ½” x 12 ½”.

Sew your three rows together.



Your finished block is 24 ½” and you are only making one!!!

Check out Miss Marker’s Quilts at:

My most recent tutorials at www.youtube.com Miss Markers Quilts or Margaret Leuwen
www.facebook.com Miss Marker’s Quilts

Happy Quilting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment