Saturday, November 9, 2013

Jo Morton - Four Square Quilt

So what do you do when you make too many Four Square Blocks?  You make a table runner!  I'm hoping to have it quilted in time to put it on my table for Thanksgiving Dinner!!


Here's my Jo Morton Four Square Quilt minus the borders.  The fabric pictured is the border fabric.


I tried a new way to make Four Patches!  I love trying new things!

The best part of making four Patches this way is you can do with with ANY size Four Patch, all you need to do is add 3/4" to the size of your block.  So if you want your Four Patch to be 5" cut your squares at 5 3/4".  Here's how I made mine.



The size of my Four Patch is 2.5 so to that I added 3/4" and cut blocks of 3 1/4" square.


Place right sides together and sew 1/4" seam on two opposite sides.  I chain pieced mine!


Once you have sewn your 1/4" seam on each side you will need to cut these in half.  My 'half' cutting line was 1.625 or 1 5/8".



The next step is to press your seams and sew these pieces together end to end.


Wow do I have a LONG strip!  I should have realized at this point that I had too many!  
Oh well I needed a new table runner!



Your next step is to get your chain cutting going by making your very first cut.  For your first cut, lay your strip on the cutting table and put right sides together, now put your ruler on the wrong side of the piece and cut 1 5/8" off the strip.  


You now have your first Four Patch and another piece that is only have of a Four Patch.  Take the extra piece and attach it to the very end of your strip, this will become your last Four Patch!



Once you've attached it to the end go back to your beginning and start cutting away!  You end up with Four Squares that are ready to be trimmed up!


The thing that I liked the most about this way of making Four Squares is that I wasn't working with 1 1/2" squares!  

Happy Quilting!

Margaret

No comments:

Post a Comment